Welcome to the General Information Page. This page offers insight and relevant information about each race. Studying the details helps runners to be well prepared for race day.
The 21K Race is the main race for the Millennium Marathon. Participation is open to Local and International Runners.
The 10.5km race will serve as a preface run for elite Ghanaian runners in the 16 regional capitals of Ghana.
The 5K race is a fun run or walks for individuals as well as family and friends who wish to walk or run a five-kilometer distance together.
Millennium Marathon General Information
Open Registration Begins - April 01
Process – for 2022 Registration can be done online via our website. Upon registration, you will receive an email notification with event details. Other registration centers include;
- Across GCB outlets and Digital Platforms
- Across G-Money outlets and G-Money QR Code
Open Registration Ends - September 02
Registration ends on August 01 on our website registration portal. Registered runners will be sent periodic updates before and after the events.
Runners who wish to register for the 2022 Millennium Marathon must adhere to the following protocols:
- Participants must be at least 18 years of age to compete.
- Participants must complete and submit the registration form during the registration period and agree to the Participant’s Agreement at the time of registration.
- All participants 18 years old and above will be required to provide proof of complete vaccination against COVID‑19 at Arrival point. You are considered fully vaccinated when you have taken the full dose of vaccines approved and registered by the Food and Drugs Authority (FDA) Ghana or the World Health Organisation (WHO) Emergency Use Listing.
Changes to the Event
Millennium Marathon Company Limited reserves the right to change the course, or make any other amendment to the Event that Millennium Marathon Company Limited deems necessary to stage the Event. Any change to the Event will be communicated to you as soon as possible.
Runner Online Event
Please follow our social media pages on Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter and join our runner events.
Official Marathon Launch - March 22
This year’s Virtual and physical Marathons will be launched in an enclosed event with a few guests. Details of the Launch event will be shared at a later date.
The Race Course
The Millennium Marathon 21k Course is an AIMS-certified course.
Half Marathon Course: Marathon: Black Start square-High street-WATO Road- Kwame Nkrumah Avenue- Liberation Road (TUC)- National Theatre – Independence Avenue road- 37 Military Hospital Road- Elwak Stadium- Burma Camp Road- Trade Fair Road- Labadi Road- Black Star Square. 5km Course: 10km course
Only runners who paid registration fees in full and completed their races are eligible to receive their finishers medal.
Cancellation by You
You should inform us immediately for any reason. If you do so, your fee will not be refunded but, if this is not an entry that you have already held over, you will be permitted to have a guaranteed entry for the next year’s Event by applying in the required manner.
Instruction for Participants
Final instructions for your race will be emailed to you before race day. These instructions are designed to give you a stress-free day.
This gives you information regarding everything you need to know about the various events.
All participating runners must comply with regulations set in the event registration guide.
Drop Out & Course Closure ( for in person races only)
- Runners unable to finish the race may stop for assistance from any of the ambulance services along the course
- Red Cross vehicles will move along each medical post to pick up runners
- Finish area facilities officially close at 11:00 am
By submitting your application, you are agreeing to enter into the Event, pay the Fee, participate in the Event on the Event Date, abide by the Rules, and also to abide by these Conditions of Entry, the Event Conditions, and any instructions given to you by officials of the Millennium Marathon Company Limited. Participants in the Event are subject to the Ghana Athletics Association rules.
If you are an entrant using a wheelchair you will also be subject to the rules of the National Paralympic Committee of Ghana. If there is any conflict between these Rules and the Agreement, the Agreement shall apply to the extent of the conflict.
All participating runners must comply with regulations set in the event registration guide.
- This event will be carried out while abiding by all domestic laws and regulations.
- In addition to the Event Regulations, the event will adhere to all other rules and regulations set forth by the event organizer.
- The event organizer will not be liable for any detriments caused by the followings:
- (1) Illness, communicable disease (including COVID-19), and/or accidents (excluding emergency treatment).
- (2) Loss and/or damage of personal property.
- (3) Late arrival to the race due to trouble with public transportation and/or poor road conditions.
- In order to execute the safe event, the event organizer will enforce traffic control in the vicinity of the event. ( For in-person runs only)
- Runners are required to follow the instructions of the event organizer. Otherwise, will be disqualified from participation in the event.
- The 21km course is AIMS certified. We will not accept any claims against the course measurement or the distance based on personal devices, such as GPS tracking devices. Also, you may be disqualified for missing the timing mat record and/or if the shortcut is discovered.
- Copyright of images, photographs, articles, race records, location information, coverage of the event, and the usage right for TV broadcasting, newspapers, magazines, and the Internet, belongs to the event organizer. The aforementioned copyright includes but not limited to names and other personal information such as age and address (country, prefecture, and city only) of entrants mentioned in the article covering the event.
- The event organizer will provide adequate first aid to injury and illness during in-person race events.
Terms of Agreement
USE OF IMAGE
The Event may be televised, filmed, and/or otherwise recorded and photographs may be taken all of which may capture your participation in the Event. You agree to the publication of such photographs, filming, recording, and broadcasts and their use by us and those authorised by us in any way which Millennium Marathon Company Limited may see fit now or in the future including but not limited to film, broadcast, radio, TV, publications, and publicity.
- If there is a conflict or inconsistency between any provision contained in the body of these Conditions of Entry and any provision contained in the Event Conditions, except where provided to the contrary in the latter, the Event Conditions prevail to the extent of the conflict or inconsistency.
- The Agreement shall be governed by the Laws of Ghana and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the Ghanaian courts.
- The Agreement does not create, confer or purport to confer any benefit or right enforceable by any person not a party to it.
- You agree that Millennium Marathon Company Limited may publish your Personal Information as part of the results of the Event and may pass such information to any affiliated organisation for the purpose of insurance, permits, or for publishing results either for the event alone or combined with or compared to other events. Personal Information here may include (but not be limited to) name, race times, occupation, nationality, and age category.
- Any breach of this Agreement shall render your entry void. If you are found to be in breach of this Agreement, Millennium Marathon Company Limited reserves the right to exclude you from participation in future editions of the event and any other events held, controlled, and/or operated by Millennium Marathon Company Limited.
Frequently Asked Questions
When does registration for the 2022 Millennium Marathon open?
Registration will open from Monday, 28th March 2022.
How do I register?
Go to the registration page and select the race type. Click on register or click HERE TO REGISTER or dial *800*17# to register on your phone.
How much for registration?
GH₵ 60 goes for Locals and $30-$40 for international participants based on selected race.
Health & Training
Should I run if I have a cold?
Exercise and your immune system have an interesting relationship. Moderate amounts of exercise on a regular basis strengthen your immune system and give you resistance against colds and other upper respiratory tract infections.
However, this is one case in which more is definitely not better. Long and intense training can actually weaken your immune system and increase the chance of getting sick. Catching a cold or getting the flu immediately after finishing the marathon is very common because your immune system takes a big hit.
What do I do if I get a cramp?
Despite the common occurrence of muscle cramps, why they happen is still something of a mystery. A common misconception is that cramps are caused by dehydration or an imbalance in electrolytes. Drinking a sports drink on your long runs, although important to maintain hydration, won’t prevent you from cramping.
Muscle cramps are more likely caused by an increase in your running pace and premature muscle fatigue, which affects your nervous system’s ability to relax a muscle after it contracts. Cramping is also associated with a family history of muscle cramps and a personal history of cramping and tendon or ligament injuries.
What should I consume during the marathon?
Exactly what you should consume in the marathon depends on what your stomach can handle, but you definitely want to make sure you consume enough carbohydrate to delay glycogen depletion and hypoglycemia and enough fluid to delay dehydration. Both conditions cause you to slow your pace. Taking carbs and fluid at regular intervals throughout the race can make a huge difference in how you feel and perform.
When is the 2022 Millennium Marathon?
The race will be held on Saturday 3 September.
How many people can run it?
As many people as possible can participate in the 2022 marathon race.
Accomodations & Travel
Will accommodation be provided for runners outside Accra?
No. However, elite runners can call our office line for assistance on accommodation.
Will there be subsidies on hotels?
Please call our office if you are an elite runner.
Be Ready To Join Our Next Race